Thursday, September 6, 2012

Copyright problems at Mediafire.com

UPDATE 9/7: Aaaaand scene.  MediaFire account was suspended for what I still believe are bogus copyright violations (see below).  The moment I get any indication that any representative of Townsquare Media or New Jersey 101.5 would like these files removed, we'll comply, but I've yet to receive any communication directly from anyone affiliated with the show or the station.  We're going to attempt to use Rapidshare as an alternate host (for a while at least) in hopes they don't give us the boot as well.  We'll try to at least get the last several shows' worth of files transferred to the new server over the next few days and the links updated as well. 

------------------------------

(Originally posted Sept 6, 2012)

Just an FYI in case anyone runs into any "File Removed For Violation" errors on Mediafire.com -- we had received 2-3 DCMA copyright notices over the last several months for various (usually older) D&D podcast files.  These were all from various companies within the music industry.  We figured they were either mistakes or were flagged due to the few seconds of bumper music D&D used after commercials.  Yesterday, we received over fifty of them, all from a French company which also appeared to target blogs and forums that linked to pirated music, movies and TV shows.

I don't believe these stemmed from anyone at NJ-101.5 (since not every file was flagged), but if anyone at Townsquare Media has any issues with the hosting of these podcasts, please let me know either via Twitter @deminskidoylefp, a comment on here, or via e-mail at deminskidoylefan - at - lycos - dot - com.  I can't imagine they affect the ratings of the radio station, as the average file is downloaded less than a dozen times and many of those (I assume) come from former listeners in Michigan.

So there are now a bunch of dead links from late July through August.  If you run into any files you want that have been removed, please let me know and we'll try to find an alternate host.  It may just come down to purchasing web space.  I'm a cheap bastard; in the almost four years this blog has been up, the only money I've spent is for the software used to record the webstream.  :c)

8 comments:

~ Jillian said...

I'm bumming. I thought I would be able to listen to a podcast of yours and cannot get any of them to come up all due to your account being suspended. Now that I know D&D are back on the air, i'll tune in tomorrow via computer, but it won't always be an option for me here in Detroit. I'ld like to listen to podcasts when the kiddies go to bed. Help a listener out please!

Anonymous said...

Having the same problem. No links at all will work because of your account being suspended! What's going on?

Anonymous said...

Is there a trick to opening rapidshare podcasts? Mediafire spoiled me. I can't get rapidshare to work.
Help please

Anonymous D&D Fan said...

Nope, no trick...just click the green DOWNLOAD button underneath where it says "Save File to... ...your computer"

Anonymous Comment said...

Rapidshare working great, thanks for the quick turnaround! Yes, I am a former listener from MI.

Anonymous D&D Fan said...

Yay, at least one person is having success with Rapidshare. :) I'm getting tired of the painful multiple-click free filehosting sites though...I may end up just breaking down and buying some web space so we can have direct links.

Anonymous said...

I, too, am one of the former Michigan listeners you've spoiled this past year or so with your uploads. And while I hate to ask or more than what you've already provided, is there any way ou can re-up the files from 8/27 & 8/28? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and just so you know, I managed to get Media Fire to work pretty much right away. Thanks again, ADD Fan!!

Anonymous D&D Fan said...

No problem...uploading them now. Any other dates that you want re-upped, just let me know...